Since its foundation in 1930, SCHÖMA can look back on a success story of almost 90 years. The foundation stone for the company was laid by Christoph Schöttler, the grandfather of the current managing director. The first SCHÖMA locomotives, which were mainly used for peat extraction and in gravel pits, were equipped not only with their own transmissions, but also with self-constructed and self-assembled single-cylinder and two-cylinder diesel engines. Even today, SCHÖMA is still the only remaining manufacturer of locomotives suitable for peat operation.
The cardan drive developed at that time by SCHÖMA, which the company had protected by a patent, is still used in principle in all modern diesel locomotives.
At the end of the 1970s, SCHÖMA succeeded in entering tunnel construction. With the introduction of mechanized tunnel boring by means of appropriate milling cutters, it was suddenly possible to achieve performances that required larger transport capacities compared to conventional boring by means of earth-moving machines or explosives. Only a few years later SCHÖMA delivered more than 100 locomotives for the construction of the Eurotunnel.
The global infrastructural development, such as the expansion of metro networks in many large cities, the necessity of water and supply tunnels for the growing world population, the expansion of road and traffic networks and the large car tunnels required for this, has enabled SCHÖMA to expand our market beyond classic light rail locomotives.
In the mid-1990s, SCHÖMA developed a new concept to cope with the ever-increasing gradients in tunnel construction in order to meet the increasingly complex requirements this entailed: With 2 diesel engines and hydrostatic drive, 16 axles can be driven. At the end of the Nineties, SCHÖMA also developed its own microcontroller locomotive control system for all engine and transmission types. At the turn of the millennium, SCHÖMA launched its first battery-powered locomotives on the market.
In 2015, SCHÖMA began developing a hybrid locomotive, which has already been successfully tested as a prototype on a number of construction sites and will commence work as a small series for tunnel projects in New York and Great Britain in January 2019 and summer 2019 respectively. SCHÖMA is currently the world's only manufacturer of hybrid locomotives in the tunnel construction sector.
To date, SCHÖMA has delivered more than 7100 locomotives and rail vehicles to all continents of the world. The constantly changing world market requires constant improvements and continuous development - an exciting challenge that SCHÖMA gladly faces every day.
Yesterday and Today, History and Present, Expertise and Innovation - learn more about the highlights of SCHÖMA's history!
- Entry into the agritec sector with own tank semi-trailers, front weights and dolly axles
- Development of a Hybrid Tunnel Locomotive
- Development and manufacture of 7.5 and 15 t battery underground locomotives with AC drive technology
- Development of a hydrostatic traction system for tunnel construction with a gradient of 6.3% over 5000 m of track length
- Certification according to DIN EN ISO 9001
- Delivery of more than 120 locomotives for the construction of the Gotthard Base Tunnel
- Delivery of 10 shunting and working locmotives for the Rhaetian Railway in Switzerland
- Delivery of 25 diesel tunnel locomotives for the Channel Tunnel Rail Link project in London/Great Britain
- Delivery of 12 battery electric service locomotives for MRT in Singapore
- Development of an own microcontroller locomotive control for all engine and transmission types
- Manufacture of 14 diesel service locomotives for London Underground
- Manufacture of special trains with multiple traction and hydrostatic bogie drive for the construction of the Athens Metro
- Production and delivery of approx. 100 tunnel locomotives for the construction of the Channel Tunnel England/France
- Entrance into the construction of diesel-powered underground locomotives, combined with the introduction of mechanised driving by tunnel boring machines.
- Manufacture of track vehicles for Deutsche Bundesbahn and start of manufacture of niche dump truck product
- Delivery of shunting locomotives and special vehicles for track maintenance to Deutsche Bundesbahn (German Federal Railways)
- Development of the first underground and tunnel locomotives in cooperation with mining companies
- Delivery of the first of over 300 locomotives for a sugar cane plantation to Indonesia
- Manufacture of locomotives with wood catalytic converters
- Patent application for flexible shaft coupling (cardan coupling)
- Manufacture of tractors
- Company Foundation, manufacturing of stone grist mills ans well as light railway locomotives with gearbox and engine from own development
Quality comes from qualified employees who judge and act on their own responsibility. Our work processes are organised transparently, responsibilities are clearly defined. We are constantly improving our products and processes. Our quality management system has been certified according to DIN EN ISO 9001 since 2003.
Of course, we are also certified for welding according to DIN EN ISO 1090-2 and 3834-2 and especially for rail vehicles and parts according to DIN EN 15085-2.